1 half of a butternut squash (or more, if you are gluttonous or have moochers coming over)
2 eggs per squash half
Allspice (if you want, it would probably be tasty)
Sugar of desired browness (I used dark brown, but probably others would work too.)
Preheat oven to 350!
- Wash and Cut Butternut squash in half lengthwise (this is way harder than I thought it would be!)
- Scoop out seedy area (Set seeds aside so you can dry and grow them.)
- Spray the cut half liberally with scary imitation spray butter, coating your arm in the process (or some other method for buttering the cut side)
- Set squash half facedown in an ovensafe pan, fill with half an inch or so of water.
- Let squash cool; meanwhile go to the store to buy the ingredients that you don't have on hand and didn't think to buy before you randomly started cooking. Did I just use a semicolon appropriately? I think maybe?
- Drain water out of pan, or transfer to the oven safe dish you want to serve in.
- Peel squash as best you can. I did about 85% of a peel job before I got annoyed with it and stopped. It did not kill me to eat a little bit of peel.
- Cut squash into manageable pieces, and go to work smashing it up.
- Meanwhile scramble the eggs in a separate bowl, add a splash of vanilla. Anywhere from 1/4 tsp to a full teaspoon depending on how enthusiastic you are about vanilla.
- Mix spices into squash.
- Add egg to mush slowly so that it doesn't cook the egg if it is too warm.
- Add sugar!
- Smooth mush around the dish so it is even.
- Put back in oven until it is set all the way through and browned on top.